Previous image Index Next image
Remains of David Levin's Farm, Twyfelfontein, Namibia | Damaraland and Kaokoland - Namibia (IMG_4078.jpg)

Remains of David Levin's Farm, Twyfelfontein, Namibia

The area was uninhabited by Europeans until after World War II, when a severe drought caused white Afrikaans speaking farmers (Boers) to move in. David Levin studied the feasibility of farming in 1947. He rediscovered the spring but struggled to extract enough water to sustain his family and his herd. Slowly becoming obsessed with doubts about the capacity of the spring a friend began calling him David Twyfelfontein (David Doubts-the-spring) in jest. When Levin bought the land and registered his farm in 1948 he gave it the name Twyfelfontein. Therefore, a more accurate translation for the word twyfel would be "questionable" or "uncertain".
Email to a friend
Share on Facebook
Copyright © Yair Karelic Photography. All rights reserved